Friday, July 3, 2009

Biggest Kitchen Table


Biggest Kitchen Table - Living Deliberately and Money
So if you too are serious about living Deliberately this is some of our method
Our challenge this week is to spend nothing for a week.

It is a thrill to do the no spend thing.
We often will go two and three weeks with this.
I shop in bulk and with the garden often have no need to go to the store.

however this last week we spent so very little until
we had some flowers and birthday gifts to tend too.
Thinking back if I were more on top of the birthdays I could have made something much more personal.
There are those times when things spring up quickly.
I think I will develop a method of keeping track and perhaps listing on the prior month any birthday or event that a gift might be required
Perhaps a creative gift list that has each name and month perhaps a line for interests and favorite colors and such.

I may need a bit for a luncheon out with the girls.
Or I may consider forgoing the meal or even perhaps doing an appetizer as an option and eating a small meal late in the afternoon.

We are using the Dave Ramsey system and have been living deliberately now for 7 months.

We use a zero balance budget spread sheet. I will try to have my husband give me a blank pdf to post for any one who is interested

These are the major categories and the suggested percentages from the book
we have tweaked them for our families needs

Charitable Gifts (10-15 %)
cash
Non-cash
Non Deductable

Savings (5-10%)
Emergency Fund No Touch(to eventually = 3 months income for emergency living)
Emergency ONLY Fund (for an a/c unit or such $1000) sugested
Child 1 savings
Child 2 savings
Pay Pal Fund

Housing (25-35%)
First Mortgage
Mortgage Late Fees
Additional Principle
( I am so looking forward to hitting this hard)
Repairs/house/furnishings
Replace Furn/Appliances /Deco
Yard/Garden Maintenance/insect control
Yard/Garden Purchase
Security Door
Flooring

Utilities (5-10%)
Electric
(It came down over $20. a month already)
Water/trash
Phone
(bare bones basic service)
(we have no cell phone)
Easy News (our brouser)

Transportation (10-15%)
fuel
car 1 car 2
then we list each week as in wk 1-5
Oil
tires
repairs
Auto Ins
Deductable
License and registration
by car with due dates
Emmisions Test
Car Replacement

Medical and Health (5-10%)
Doctor
co pay per family member
Dentist
list family members
Optometrist
list family member
keep track of apts and due dates for cleaning and exams...
Drugs
list each for each family menber
Non Mail order
non prescription
Hearing aide batteries (son)
Vet exams
list each due date for vacinations

Food (5-15%)
Grocery
list 5 wks
Stockpile
Birthday celibrations
Holiday/parties/vacation
restaurants
(a very rare event indeed)
Dog Food
Chicken Food
School Lunches
(I make them)
Steve's Lunches
(I make them every morning)
I have researched ways to save by baking bread
Supplements
Costco Membership

Personal (5-10%)
Allowance child one
Allowance child two
Computer fund hrdw/softwr
Cosmetics
Educational expenses
School Supplies and expenses
School Photos/Field Trips
Adult Eduation
Library Fines
Gifts (aniversary,Holiday, Christmas
Gifts(our bithday, adoption day)
Gifts (to give, bday , wedding, ect
Hair care (I buy in bulk at a beauty supply)
Hobby/craft/sewing

Life Insurance mom
(we place a very high priority on this)
Life Insurance dad
(Knowing that the family is covered if anything should happen to either of us.
However gain knowledge the type of ins. is crucial)

Miscellaneous
Postage/shipping and Handling
Pet supplies
Chickens(pine shavings)
Dogs (yearly Licence)
subscriptions/Magazines
Toiletries
Pocket cash (petty Cash)

Clothing (2-7%)
Adults
Children

Recreation (5-10%)
Entertainment
Admissions
Media,Movies, Games
Vacation

Debt
upcoming pmts for Dove
upcoming braces for Dash

Total all catagories



Income
by check or pay period
refunds/reembursments
Federal Tax Refund
State Tax Refund


Total income

every dollar has a place and if we do not use it there by month end it is either allocated for an unexpected expense or set aside for quarterly/yearly pmts.

We start out wit the income and then the essentials of house pmt and bills, transportation in that category we save for the auto insurance and pay it quarterly
Then we have medical and Rx, here I have gone to mail for the 3 months for the price of one co pay, all meds are then used in this way so that they are scheduled and we know when we need to reorder. We set aside a copay per family member

then as the totals drop we see what we have left if a bill is due that is covered.

Off the top we set aside our life insurance pmts divided by 12 so that is is there when we need it.

we have a spot for everything

I do not have a blank to show you but will try to create one. So every penny is assigned a spot in the apx column.
Then as the month proceeds we review weekly adding actual to the actualized column

we have paid off all debt except the house by prioritizing those sheets to do so. Now just the house is left.

We are basing our expenditures on the lowest 40 work weeks.
If overtime we will save of pay unexpected

any bimonthly or quarterly or yearly bill we set aside the amount divided by 12 so it is there when we need it.

If we then have a month where we have more than we need it will cover the items like clothing or shoes and such.

Now 7 months ago when we started the categories were often used
Now often as the months have gone by I have found ways to not use monies to fill those spaces but to use creative solutions to make it myself or find cheeper ways of getting by.

It is a highest leek come first basis.
Now only 7 months out most all leaks are stopped and any hemerages are gone
When they do occure we are able to say no to something and use it to cover the hit.

Thats the jest of it.
I hope it might help some of you.

4 comments:

Susie said...

It's hard in this day and age to still to a budget but it is necessary. Now more than ever!

Denise said...

I so need to budget better.. We spend too much here and there.. We have cut back a bunch and need to cut back more..... I want to be able for my DH to retire before he is 65........ I am 8 years older and I fear that by the time he is retiring I will be too old to do much....... I will read this again and see if it is something I can use...

Hugs

Talk..to..Grams said...

Hi,You are really doing good on your savings deal! Have a Happy Fourth! Hugs Grams

Denise said...

So very awesome.

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness