Friday, May 22, 2009

Bank of Canada received this communication about the newest scam.

I am forwarding this information...

This is happening in southern Alberta right now and moving. This one is
pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the
one piece they want.. Note, the callers do not ask for your card number;
they already have it.

This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA &
MasterCard telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared
to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from
'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from'MasterCard'.

The scam works like this:
and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460 , Your card has
been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify.
This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did
you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing
company based in Arizona ?' When you say 'No', the caller continues
with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a
company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497,
just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your
next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is
that correct?'

You say 'yes'.

The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you
have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back
of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer
to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do
you need me to read it again?'

>Hear is the important part>
The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your
card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'.
There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last
3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card.

These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to
prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3
numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say,
'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been
lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other
questions?'
>
After you say no, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate
to call back if you do', and hangs up. You actually say very little, and
they never ask for or tell you the card number.

But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back. Within 20 minutes
to ask a question. Are we were glad we did! The REAL VISA Security
Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new
purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is
reissuing us a new number.. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN
number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell
them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their
conversation.

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card
as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you
give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a
credit.. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges
for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or
more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a
'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a Word-for-word repeat of the VISA
Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police
report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several
of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know
that this scam is happening. I dealt with a similar situation this
morning, with the caller telling me that $3,097 had been charged to my
account for plane tickets to Spain , and so on through the above routine.

It appears that this Is a very active scam, and evidently quite successful.

Pass this on to all your family and friends

2 comments:

Annette said...

THANK YOU so much....I will put the word out....and I will notify my husband and children. We have to take care of each other out here!
Love & Hugs~
Annette

Denise said...

I appreciate you sharing this my friend.

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness