Monday, October 6, 2008

Marriage Monday "10 Tips for Frugal Living."

1. Menu plan.
2. Do not buy what you do not NEED, or what you truly can not afford.
3. The total Money makeover by Dave Ramsey is a plan for financial fitness.
4. Educate yourself. This month for me I will learn the art of bread baking.

Learn a new skill that will save you from having to spend funds for someone else to do it. With the internet and the library we have endless council on "how too" just make good use of it. It is free (save for the internet access of course!
Over the summer I studied gardening and have tended soil and planned, planted and tended. Now we have food growing in our own yard.
5. Mr U and I do not buy anything we have to make payments for . We have no cell phone bill, we do not have cable nor any other thing we have to "make payments on". We budget for entertainment and purchase movies after they drop off of the "new release list". A little bit of temperance goes a long way.
6. Teach your children that advertisers are "snakes in the grass" They temp and toy with your emotions. Talk with them in a relaxed manner and make fun of the commercials. We say "what are they trying to sell you?" Then ask Do YOU really need it. Learning and teaching the difference between WANT and NEED will take your family far.
7. This tip is for those who are friends with God.
When a need or desire (want) comes up ...ASK him to meet it. If I need fruit or a certain thing on my list. I pray (looks like just talking to you I speak relaxed with my Abba God) Then keep your eye out for it and be patient. You will be amazed at the freedom and joy and delight this way of life gives.
8. Use the "Lead Ins" those adds that come from the grocer that have the big deals to get you IN the door. Take the invitation but do not fall for the ploy (once they get em' in tempt them with all we are worth")..."snakes in the grass". Then buy those items you use on a regular basis in bulk. I usually save 30%-50% and then some. Remember Ruth in the Bible. Glean the shelves. Make a walk through the field (the isles) and keep a eye out for grain (deals) the harvester (the grocer) has left for those willing to receive "the imperfect". Often it is really perfect just not popular. They get paid for every inch of shelf space. If A product does not make them money they will often clearance it out to get one in that will bring a profit.
9. Reuse, recycle and stop wasting anything. Use your water wisely. For example when you do dishes try this...Fill your sink half way, then wash up your first sink full now rinse over the dish water...this will fill up the sink with the hot water (you are paying to heat) and not just let it run down the drain. Now wash up the next few pans while you have a pan soaking in the other sink with dish soap. Once you are ready to wash it pour the hot soapy water into the big sink not down the drain. Use up the heated water and the extra soap. Simple things done every day with thoughtfulness will add up to great things over time. I believe it is simply an attitude of respect and gratitude for what we have. Think of those in 3rd world country's what would they think of how you use your resources? I have been to Russia twice you bet they are appalled by the way we Americans just throw away what is given to them. They just chase the dollar and spin around.

There is a story of the Monkey catchers ...They place a sweet smelling nut in a heavy glass bottle. The monkey reaches in and grabs the nut and is trapped. The only thing holding the monkey... is his greed.
10. Sharing what we have with those who are less fortunate.
There will always be those who have more than you and those who have less.
Considering the single parent and help them out. The time will be less difficult for you because you will truly see how fortunate you are. This also teaches children to respect what they do have.

I'd love to hear how you're stretching the family budget during these challenging financial times. Please join us today for our MM topic, "10 Tips for Frugal Living."
As always, your entry doesn't need to be a long one. Once you've posted, come to Chrysalis and add your permalink to Mister Linky. Then take a few minutes to visit the other Marriage Monday contributors.

Next month, we will meet on Nov. 3, 2008. Topic: TBA.
Wanted: You as a Guest Hostess

Would you like to have the opportunity to host Marriage Monday? I'm looking for a few regular MM participants who would like to take a turn as guest hostess. Please e-mail me and let's discuss the possibilities. It's time to share the Marriage Monday linky love farther and wider!
Blessings,
e-Mom

9 comments:

Amydeanne said...

great list!

Denise said...

Such a helpful, and useful list my friend.

Miriam Pauline said...

Great list! Bless you for sharing.

Andrea said...

I love the idea of teaching yourself a new skill. I purchased a sewing machine in hopes of learning how to make curtains. You've inspired me to get myself in gear and get sewing again!

I enjoyed your tips. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Faith said...

I like your list.
I do like that you don't have cells or cable (we don't have cable but because my teen and my preteen girl are in public school and very involved in extracurricular church activities, I need a cell to be reachable!)...you give some very good advice here! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Donetta,

Excellent, excellent post. I loved this one: With the internet and the library we have endless council on "how too" just make good use of it... So very true.

All your items were wonderful and wise. Hugs,

Sheila said...

all good! this one was my favorite:

This tip is for those who are friends with God.
When a need or desire (want) comes up ...ASK him to meet it. If I need fruit or a certain thing on my list. I pray (looks like just talking to you I speak relaxed with my Abba God) Then keep your eye out for it and be patient. You will be amazed at the freedom and joy and delight this way of life gives.

Anonymous said...

Excellent ideas, as always Donetta. I like the way you are wary of advertisers and how they try to play on our emotions. Well done, Mom!

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today. :~D

Susan said...

Wow, this was good, and fun to read.

Thanks!!!

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness