Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday


Empowering the Adult
Parenting 101

This morning rang frustration as my parenting skills suffered a big wake up call.
Often we say things about how our kids drive us bonkers and I am no exception.
I realized that it was not him per say
but that it was my inability to parent him without the knowledge I needed to address the issue.
My response to him was from a kids perspective.
I love being "kind" to the kids feeling like "oh the poor dears just got home let them chill out a while tell them what to do and then watch myself get angry when they
"let my trust in them down".
WRONG!!

RIGHT
...
...is to hold them accountable and not just make life easy for them.
Having them do their chores, duties and homework when they get home is security and that is an innate need .
Letting them know how they can create for themselves the environment they desire.
A "grown up controls them" into the desire of the big kid they are and what they wished it would of been like for them. It is the example they knew.

When my kids got home today first
they wash hands (every day!) this is so important.

They had an apple and a few minutes to talk about the day.

So the timer was set for a 10 minute tidy...

Then for a 15 minute kick back time..,
For Dove TV for Dash no TV
Lie to me about your homework = no privileged.
TV/ computer is privileged not a right
:)
He owned it tonight and apologized for his lies.

Then it was homework time.

It is my ADULT responsibility to hold them to it
not just accept their word
but

to check it.
I got very angry at Dash for he lied to me again...
but I realized that he needs an adult to stand over him and hold him to it.
It was me the "grown up" that really was a thorn in my saddle.

He actually seemed to appreciate it that I caught him in it yet again!
The adult pointed out correct procedure and made sure he got it.
No excuses
he was thriving on it!!!!!!!!!

I gave him a charting system that I will have to check and see each day that he did it.
He can check his own work before he tells me if he is done.
He will know when he is done.


You see Dash is pretty much a genius...no kidding.
He is off the IQ chart for his age range...
off the bell curve ...
off the paper!
He thinks he is too smart to do the mundane...
:)
We have him in an Extended Learning Program
Being young we do not advance him for the sake of his emotional development.

Smart kids are a hand full and then some.
It is really a gift and a challenge to raise him.

It is all well and good to trust our kids.
I learned though that some kids test the system
to see if I cared enough to really check on him.


Any way after homework...
he now is in a good mood confident in his security that mom is not so stupid after all He finds security in that...
see what I mean about raising a smart kid...


They gleefully did their chores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jaw dropping to the floor once again...
They then had the down time all done by 4:00p.m.!!!!!!

I was able to have supper done
not having to wait on Dove to get her dishes done.


No more Grown up nagging about
"you need do get your home work done".

Dove.."Get your dishes done soon dad will be home...
I need to do the kitchen...soon Dove please get them done"...

Then in utter frustration yell at her to get them done embarrassment because Steve is going to walk in the door and the kitchen is not finished.


"Adult"
lets them know what is expected of them
and holds them to it.


I must of been a hand full!
I am told that I too am way intelligent...
perhaps that explains some of the "grown up's" frustrations and abuse on me as a kid.
Come to think of it the siblings who were very smart got the worst of it.


I must keep my adult in charge.

Grown up verses Adult
Over at A Life Restored I will do a post on this issue
Including the way you can tell who in in charge of your parenting:)


To those of you who were raised as Adults more power to you!
Your example to the world around you is priceless.
I am wishing I had your parents
:)

But for those of us who had to grow up with grown ups who were never the adults we needed
we have to become adults with intentional vigor.

3 comments:

Denise said...

You are a wonderful mom.

Susie said...

Awesome tackle, Mom:-)

Annette said...

I love your thoughts on parenting!! You are such a wonderful mom and I'm sure your husband is a wonderful Dad as well, your babes will succeed in life and become some great adults and parents themselves, all because of that parenting love you both have!

LOVE TO YOU~
Annette
p.s.
my children lied to me about their home work, they had to face the consequence as well, at one time with Johnanthon, I had him pick his own punishment, of course to my standards!!

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness