Tuesday, November 13, 2007

November Write away contest due wen

Over at "Scribbit"

November's Write-Away Contest

Thanksgiving TurkeyWe don't have snow yet but 2007 is nearly gone, something about coming to the close of a year and looking back at what I've accomplished, how I've changed or how I've stayed the same makes me feel the pull of gratitude. Not surprisingly, this month's writing theme will be on thankfulness but I'm going to be a bit more specific than that, the topic is: "My life is different because of . . ."

This doesn't mean this must be your title or that you have to start your post out with those words, it's more to get you thinking about something that made a difference in your life. It could be a person, an event, an opportunity, a lesson learned, but I'd like to hear about something that changed you or your surroundings in always-to-be-remembered way.

If you'd like to participate here are the rules:

1. Write a post or find one in your archives on the topic, "My life is different because of . . ." and email your post's permalink to me at: scribbit at gmail.com any time through Wednesday November 21st. If you fail to meet the November 21st deadline I will still happily publish the link to your post and include it in the list of entries but it will not be judged. I reserve the right to reject submissions if they fail to meet the topic or if they contain objectionable content.

I always respond to each submission once I have received it, just to let you know I've got it but I've had terrible trouble lately with gmail throwing legitimate mail into my spam box. I'm sifting through it daily (and let me tell you how pleasant that is) to make sure I don't miss anything, but just to be sure please look for my responding email to know that I have received your entry.

2. Publish a link to the contest page here at Scribbit in either your entry post or in a separate post.

3. Check back here on Friday November 23rd when I will post a complete list of the entries along with the Write-Away Winner and any honorable mentions our judge sees fit to award.

Our guest judge this month is Lucy from An Ordinary Mom who is one of my best blogging friends and will judge the entries based on the quality of writing, the applicability to the topic and the overall ability to engage the reader--for which I'm eternally grateful.

The prize you're writing for is a genuine, custom-made handbag. This seemed to be popular before and as I can't seem to give these things away that's exactly what I'm going to do. The picture and details are posted at my Etsy shop here.

But besides this the winner and all runners-up or honorable mentions (I leave that up to the judge to award them) will also get to take home this attractive Write-Away Winner button which he or she may display in their sidebar if they wish.

Write-Away Contest WinnerGood luck, I look forward to reading your entries.



"My life is different because of . . .
The path I have walked.

This is my story of a road less traveled.
The stones in my shoes.
Childhood kept me bare footed.
Stepping out into scattered glass that tour at my soles,
at my soul.
Deeply gouged with lacerated vintages of history retold.
Miles, Oh! the miles I have known.
I have traveled more than most in this lifetime.
More than many who have known my same road.
For I found it out of the vastness, a simpler dust to tread.
This dust under foot softened the blows
of all that was thunder from underneath my toes.
Childhood shod with anguish.

Adolescence bore not much better except then I could wrap my meat in some torn garment with hands made ready able for my own needs.
Wherry wounded tried sour feet.
Made to greet all those unsavory folk
who don't care what stones that may scatter.
Torn from my bandaged mind
the strips that would twine around these tired feet.
Survival of the fittest,
feet sore to numbness.
The road a drift in the thorns
scattered before and around me.
I pressed.
Tugging and pulling thorns along the road.
Depositing carefully those weapons .
With all hopes to guard others toes.

Womanhood youth young warrior bride.
The dust now softness in every stride.
Walking baron for years without end. I learned to pretend.
A great lavish closet full of every design gave bold colors to foot ware
and powerful strides over time.
Toes adorned with tenderness touch divine.
His hand in mine no lonely path now.
Yet often misunderstood. Rejected by religion a devils blind eye.
How people were absent from the roads that I traveled at times.
Yet always with me in the reflection of His sky.
He had given me eye for the frontier of restoration.

So many the mile, with a loving husband at my side.
Days when he carried me became years overtime.
Now beside him sure footed I stride.
Uniquely the road I have traveled the life I have known.
This life is mine only; to give or to hold.
I have given it over to the invisible guide.
Sheltered and nurtured all along my life's long road.
It is HE who holds my heart as his own.
My feet are beautifully empowered, stable and strong.
Delicately lovely to tread through the rest of this awesome lifetime.



7 comments:

Scribbit said...

Thanks so much for entering this!

Denise said...

Beautiful, I really hope you win sis, love you.

Amrita said...

Very poetic and touching Donetta

Janean said...

WOW! You are so talented!
Encourager, Poet, creative genius, chef, The list goes on.
It's beautiful. I hope you win. :D

Anonymous said...

You have a natural talent for words. Good luck in the contest!

Daisy said...

Such emotion, and such strength, in this piece. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Donetta! Poetry... Tell me, gorgeous, is there anything you can't do? ; )

Hope your family had an absolutely lovely Thanksgiving!

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness