Sunday, July 22, 2007

Saturday: 33 pounds of Homemade Hamburger.

We call it "Meat Order". On Thursday when the party was being prepared there it was. London Broil and Tip Roast 1.99 pound Less than half Price, however if one stops to consider that 85%-90% fat content burger can range from $5-$7. a pound just think of how much I am saving. I also will point out that ground beef in the store can in one pound represent as many as 200 cow, you think about the risk reduction represented here. E. Coli and other food contaminates are becoming a great health hazard in our food supply.
Every quarter or so I put up hamburger for the family. We were out and only had one London Broil left in the deep freeze. I had told God that I would need meat soon. He apparently had the confidence in me I would get it ground quickly! I often shop at our local Safe way for "Angus beef". Now to make 33 (approximate pounds of fine grade home ground burger and put it up in the deep freeze.) This is a job that is time sensitive and must be done well and with utmost care for cleanliness and efficiency. Lay out paper bags, knives (sharpened) , knife sharpener (resharpen often), gallon zip bags (open each bag for later convenience) cutting boards (I never use wood boards the can cause illness).
If you can click on the photo you can see the first savings.
Now get the largest ones on the shelf. You too can reduce the cow count by grinding and packaging as you go. I have recycled my garbage bags (paper) they will be absorbing all blood that will spill from the package. Use plastic to place packaging in as you remove the mess. I have allowed my meat to rest in my garage refrigerator all day Friday (I had the party) and this helps it to age. (NEVER BEYOND THE PACKAGE DATE) .
Slice into width proper for your grinder. Good family investment ( I waited 16 yrs for mine) but I own it! Not on debt :)


When slicing roast cut in half then in strips if the edges of the ends don't seperate all the way it is ok because the first into shoot will pull the next slice into the grider.
Ready a pan for first double grind ,I use the large blade then grind again with the fine blade this is the meat I use for sauces and casserole, It is however not suggestible for hamburger patties it will fall apart. I will cook the first run while I am grinding. Note toweling on the floor I replace all cloth every morning and toss the day before or any contaminated cloth to the corner of the floor and then I take then to the laundry to be bleached.
Do not trim the marble off your meat, it is needed to cook properly. Your grinder will stop any Grissel.
Slice all, stow half in refideration. Work fast here
Double grind goes right onto stove to cook. I then will package it into one pound bags there will be no oil in the pan here this meat is VERY lean.

Time is so important! Work hard and fast here! Cover a scale with a baggie and the baggie save a mess!
I stand on a stool for better leverage. Oh man I look haggard. I am awake only a few moments here. I tied my hair up and got to work. Beloved came around the corner and snapped a shot during a "yuk" moment. Don't get me wrong this is hard gross work! When I first start I have to get my mind around the matter here. I am grateful to the animal for the loss of life will sustain our lives. This can be a reflective time for me too. You know it is a dead animal that your working with.
I have a hot date at noon with Dash Hawk. The "Daddy Man" has a pizza date with the "Dove". So I just work hard knowing I will shower very soon.

After first grind get rid of all setting blood. Bags into trash and counter sanitized all of this done in under an hour. Time is so important! I use a marble rolling pin the weight works for me so I don't have to.
Weigh and bag set aside.
Now using the heal of your hand press the meat into the corners of the bag , role out half seal the bag roll out air and seal, set aside next... Work fast! Meat must remain cold!

Left =roast 85% lean/fat best for burgers
Right bag= London Broil 90% lean/fat content

See bags done meat in pan cooling awaiting bags

UNDER ONE HOUR NOW! FIRST HALF IN FREEZER!
Catch your breadth, wash bowls out with soapy water, now again we begin all counter tops have been sanitized! The maid had a nice rest and cool down, Her and I both.
I transfer cooled cooked meat into weighed bags. Now the first batch again a double grind goes right into the pan don't even need to wash the pan (save energy be efficent) so it will cook while I grind and bag.
Cooked meat bagged into one pound packages. All meat ground and bagging in process the grinder at rest is cooling down. This is all the Grissel and waist you have out of 33 pounds of meat, Don't think about what you eat in the store bought grind (yuk). The cuts of meat I use are a high quality off the beef. You can use other cuts of beef but I use only the best I can afford for the family. Other cuts are not as high a lean/fat %.

With bowls and grinder parts soaking in hot soapy water I then weigh out pound packages, and 1/4 pound patties. Roll out the pounds as above turn off the stove so the meat can cool.


Roll out the cooked meat after it too has cooled the rest of the way. And place in deep freezer.
With all the 1/4 pound balls I form patties by this method. Squeeze with the left hand as you turn it with the right.
Cut Parchment or wax paper squares.
With paper on top and paper under you guard against freezer burn. Zip part way use your rolling pin gently and roll out a little thinner. (this helps defrost time) Seal all and freeze. This is under the second hour.
At just under two hours I have 33 pounds of high quality grade burger. Note that it is stacked in about a one cubic foot space. This has many benefits. If the monsoons cut my power a frozen block will stay frozen longer, It takes up much less freezer room, and I also can thaw out a bag in just 15 minuets .
I use the flash freeze feature on the freezer. This freezer was one of my first goals for home efficiency. I got it when we were together about four years. It has so paid for itself over and over.
The meat in the pan will go indoors to use this week in my menu.
Counter will need a final sanitizing
trash is contained in a plastic lined can and will go out, dishes soaking to be washed
Counter and grinder sanitized as is floor around work space.
2 1/2 hours passed dishes done all meat put up at the 1 hour time window, two times over.

Time to shower for a Mother/Son date with a "Dashing" young man!

Now lets do the math!
meat $1.99 pound x 33 =$65.67 plus tax

If I purchased it all made similar grade at $5.00 a pound (knowing full well it is more like $6.99)
so $5.00 x 33 pounds $165.00

$165.00 -$65.67= $99.33
$99.33 * 2 hours = $49.66 per hour

so tell me is it worth it to work for "the man" or "your Man" :)
If we used the $6.99 per pound we would be earning a $82.5 per hour! (but we'll be modest):)

We Homemakers are a very valuable , good thing. A wife can cause so much good. If the man who is able to support the family will support the homemaker in her career choice, he does a good thing. If she chooses to be at home working she works hard and earns every bit of the $49.66 and hour she gets (in all of her modesty)! She gets the benefits that far out weight the so called $5 a pound because we all know that it cost a lot more like the $6.99 with all the many "sacred cows" represented out there in the work force :)

4 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

your doing it again,,,, NO KIDDING I am going ot say that I am proud of just how good you are at the home maker thing. really I sit in awwwwww

Anonymous said...

Great job! We grind our own hamburger too. I only wrote a short post about it at http://www.northofthe49.com/blog/?p=137. Yours is so much better with all of the wonderful images and step-by-step detailed instructions. I bet it feels really good to have that done and stored up in your freezer.

mukuge said...

geez, I'm inspired! ^__^
I'm a student but have been informally recognised as 'the mum' for my hobby of preparing food for friends when we're studying together. Your burger project inspires me to scrimp and save - I'll get my friends to chip in for the 33 pounds of meat I'm about to buy :))

Denise said...

Wow, you are an excellent homemaker, thanks for all the great tips you share sweety.

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness