Thursday, May 22, 2008

Finding Courage Through Sharing Blog Carnival

CMCblogcarnival
"In the Life of a child"
Join us in this enlightening prompt.
Tell Me What You Wish Others Understood…
Having two adopted special need kids it would have been wonderful if others understood how hard it was to face those needs with courage. I remember many who minimized the needs at the very time I was dealing with accepting the challenges I had. I had to grieve the needs of the kids in their infancy and do all I could to intervene. Some folks would act as though I was making a bigger deal out of their special needs than was warranted. This was so confusing and hurtful at times. I was being the advocate they desperately needed and my advocacy was questioned and at times it felt very undermining. It was a role I had been given to educate. So as a new mother you have a role to be an advocate and to educate the population at large. It is a time of pouring out that is just draining. It was the best when someone just offered words of encouragement. Even when others supported the duties of normal motherhood (sharing a dish or helping with a chore). You would be amazed at the hours of Paper Work I have completed. Your kids sick and You get stuck doing what feels like you SAT"s. The Stress is so taxing that your exhausted. Then you get the "well meaning" :) folks who ask if..."you knew they were that sick when you choose to adopt?" because if you did (the inference is) that "it is your own fault! you brought it on yourself"...Folks are full of ignorant misjudgments. I have heard this even for the birth children born with special needs . That it is some how the "fault" of someone or something... It is human nature to do this but when you are the target of such ignorance it can compound the pain of parenting those special needs children that need everything you can give them to over come. It is a real drain to have to be an educator of the public at such a time. That is the call however of a parent who has special needs kids.
My son may have Ushers, he is hearing impaired and had to have a surgery to fix a deformity of the throat. His ear canals are deformed. He is adopted from Russia. So we deal with the ignorant insensitive medical folks too.
"was he from any where near Chernobyl?" See what I mean. I hurts! It startles and it calls on everything as a Mother to hold the roots of the oak we must be fast beside the stream of life. For me the river I draw from is one of faith in a loving God who is constantly questioned by the mis-informed who long to blame ...To blame God. God did not do this to these adorable children of mine. The sin of man kind did. But God is turning it around.
If my son goes blind, deaf it is not that God does not love him. It will be that God will turn it around and teach the ignorant Love. You see Love is what all this is about. Ignorance is just a lack of understanding about that Love.
My son stayed alive in horrid conditions for his first 10 months of his life. He was taught because of those conditions to be angry and to feel guilt for his needs. Many a time in Russia they asked if we "really wanted him?" They kept asking this because many Americans only wanted the "perfect baby". Fuey! there is no perfection except that every baby is perfectly deserving of love! My Son was on the "throw away" side of the orphanage with the babies who were clef lip or downs syndrome children. Those children were not adopted because folks all want to avoid suffering and hardship.
Little Dove was bald and had such a severe respiratory infection that she almost died before I could get her back to the states. She could not move at 8 months and was developmentally disabled in two of the three categories. I invested 22 months of all three therapy's driving 13 miles one way three times a week and working for several hours daily. This is my Daughter my child. Now at 10 years old she is doing so well. She had a severe anxiety problem due to sensory integration disorder she would just scream at night and panic because she would just free float when she laid down. I cried so hard to see that child suffer so badly. It took several years and many lessons and great education in the disciplines. She is now off all medications and is doing well. It was so hard! I have never done anything so meaningful or great in my life! I see now the fruit of that labor of so many years. I have had 1 easy year now with her. She is the joy of my life!
I wish others understood that this great sacrifice is not without reward. We love and we are love. One thing that is not often considered is the physical and emotional price we pay as parents. These hardships age us and the stress is hard on us. It is a part of the cost. If others could love us in ways that reduce extraneous stress it could go a long way in supporting our role as main care givers.
I have gained so much more than I have given and that says a lot!
NO! I do not regret this experience! It really hurts when people ask this. I hope that folks will learn that every story is a part of a grand epic. That it is the greater epic that matters. That grand epic would be forever altered if each little story each life was not lived to the top. Each life effects the epic.
Suffering instills the ability to have compassion. It is in suffering that we see Love empowered through the gain of understanding. Understanding is the beginning of knowledge. If knowledge be gained then it is given to man to walk wisely.
Wisdom=Love=God = Intimacy with God= If into-me-i-see than I can see into-you more clearly. Then I will better know how you need to be loved.

It is in the suffering of my own youth that I was empowered to be able to love my sweet children through the journey of suffering into the life that they now thrive in. Do I wish that they did not suffer, well yes in some ways sure I do. I must trust that they will gain and develop character that this world so desperately needs more of. Do not just feel sorry for those of us who are so challenged. Rejoice with us as well for we are given a great gift in this that we can offer a gift to this world that it so desperately needs, We know something few know how to offer.
That is the very thing we could sure use more of from others :)

8 comments:

Christina said...

This is a really great post. I have a daughter with Down Syndrome and diabetes and when she was younger, I remember people asking me if I knew...Why didn't I get the amnio? Why didn't I abort? It's terrible people making you feel like because you choose to love and raise your child with a disability that somehow you deserve all that happens and you shouldn't grieve at all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Stacey,momof 2 said...

Thank you-- This post is awesome, and to the point--
I cut and pasted my favorite part!

"NO! I do not regret this experience! It really hurts when people ask this. I hope that folks will learn that every story is a part of a grand epic. That it is the greater epic that matters. That grand epic would be forever altered if each little story each life was not lived to the top. Each life effects the epic.
Suffering instills the ability to have compassion. It is in suffering that we see Love empowered through the gain of understanding. Understanding is the beginning of knowledge. If knowledge be gained then it is given to man to walk wisely. "

Well written !

Anonymous said...

What an amazing post. thank you for sharing.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

There were times when it was really rough being the mom to Gabi. Not that I didn't want to be, but it was so rough and stressful. People would ask me "Well what makes it so rough?" When I would try to explain, I always got the same responce, "Well that is that way with any kid." But no it isn't. It is different, and no one can understand it without walking in your shoes. I felt belittled in their comment, so I totally understand where you are coming from. Oh and I found out about Gabi's Down syndrome and cardiac defect prenatally, and I would get the comments, "But you did know what you were getting yourself into." Ignorant people!

Anonymous said...

Donetta - That was just beautiful, my friend. I'm so very glad you joined in -- you have so much insight and encouragement to offer, and that was a privilege to read.

You are an amazing mom to two beautiful, exceptional children and I am so very glad I met you through blogging. You have one of the most lovely hearts and your words always feel like the hug of a best friend.

I know just how you feel about some of the comments alluding to the idea that 'you brought this on yourself' -- an incredible notion that I never fail to be appalled at. You are a lovely example of how to respond with grace, Donnetta. Much love to you, Dash, and Dove!

~Michelle @ In The Life Of A Child

Denise said...

Awesomely beautiful my friend.

Jen said...

You are an amazing mother, and your post is testament of how much your love for your children will help make this world a better place in which to live. :)

Jen @ Unique But Not Alone

Amrita said...

People like you are examples to the whole world.In this selfish and self centered society you are like a shining light. God bless you. You are affecting eternity.

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness