Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tortilla making lesson


Let me introduce my friend Diann.
She has offered to teach the art of tortilla making to me.
So of course I will pass the lesson on to all of you.

Of course the lesson would be incomplete without the aide of our handy dandy darlings.

Allow the children to measure assisted of course

3 cups flour
2 tbs Baking powder
2 tsp salt
3 tbs Crisco

mix lightly





Then mix in approximately three cups of water and kneed to a soft dough consistency

knead and work into a ball





at soft ball stag when it is just only stick a bit in the center of the dough
Hand it over to the kids to knead some more


split the dough betwwn the kids and have them each form many small balls out of it


Show them how to knead it a bit

give them another bowl to put all the balls in

Meanwhile we moms took the balls and kneaded a bit
then flatten them and spin as your flattening them a bit.




Flour the work surface


The circle of dough is then rolled from center of ball out turn roll center out

Then each time you roll turn
It is picked up and worked or tossed back and forth.
This is an important process.
The ones that I did that I did not toss enough left flour to burn on the skillet.


from center out, tun center out turn then toss.


Look at those amazing hands...

At this point it is very thin
The thinner the better
It makes the most tender tortilla

Now here is a treat for the children called
"monkey Butts"
Yep...
That is what she said they are called.
:)

Heat two inches of vegetable oil till hot
We used the Crisco and she did not like the way it responded.
Vegetable oil is better
I just dod not have any on hand for I use almost exclusively olive oil.

For tortilla a very hot cast iron works best
We improvised with a skillet
it is a non stick
it did not work the same way.
The pan must be very very hot and that is not good for Teflon to be that hot.

These cook fast!
This process is very very fast paced roll and then cook it is an hour in the making of 12 tortillas.
After that hour your pretty tired out for it is a high speed fast paced process that is focused.


Flip and one minute and done!

have ready a towel on a plate
as soon as the tortilla is removed stack and cover.
The steam keeps the stack moist adn wonderful!


Her experience at making them really shows!
Look at that beautiful tortilla!

These are the deep fried Monkey Butts
They are VERY VERY fast paced!
In and turn in under on minute and out onto plated toweling to drain
Then shake powdered sugar on both sides .


The prize!


The children clearing the second plate of fried Monkey Butts.

What a name for a treat.


6 comments:

Reighnie said...

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea they were so easy to make. I've been buying the one's that you cook at home from Costco. They are so good fresh. I will have to try this.

Susie said...

Cool!! Thanks for the lesson:-)

Denise said...

This was fun.

Denise said...

I would have never guessed that they were that easy to make (easy for me to say) thanks for the lesson, I love tortilla's. I have a Hispanic friend many years ago and she taught me to eat them with all my meals.. not just for tacos! sooooooo I love them...... I might try this in the cooler months......

Amrita said...

we have similar fried bread called pooris. We make them with regular flour or whole wheat flour.
In the dough we mix a little salt and thyme.

Ross4Teflon said...

Donetta - Looks like a very fun process. Wanted to thank you as well for sharing the info that it is bad to get your Teflon coated cookware too hot. Heating the pans above 500 degrees is not recommended. Here is an article that briefly touches on that.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/kitchen/cookware-bakeware-cutlery/nonstick-pans-6-07/overview/0607_pans_ov_1.htm

If you are interested in any cookbooks or recipes to try out for you blog, drop me a line and I'd be glad to help you out. Thanks, Ross.

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness