Saturday, May 31, 2008

Our Wedding Day

1982
Twenty six years ago this young woman cried out to God.
She said..."All I want is a home of my own, and a man who Loves you. Please God, I do not want a religious man, but a man who loves you."
A young man cried out with a broken heart.. He said..." Dear God...Please bring me a wife"

This young woman had braved with great courage the escape from an abusive relationship. She had fled to a church for refuge. Sheltered by a Deacon and his family she was homeless. With only a back pack and the roof over her head.

The young man had recently lost the love of a five year relationship. A future that had shattered his tender heart.

That great day....
Across the crowded Bible Study class I sat . Frightened and clinging to Christ my solace and salvation. I was a young believer who had joined the choir. Rail and gentle. Forgiving of life I joined and belonging to those who attended this mega baptist church. It was a neighbor who had helped me escape. She had brought me to this place. A place that I had watched often on the television. A body of Christians who offered me a chance at life.
The young man who had approached me spent several weeks trying to meet up with me. He had found my name on an announcement.
We had met at last for he was still amazed at how he had fallen of of his chair during that bible study. It was then he knew I was her. He pursued me. A dove broken, guarded by many.

This young man saw her and marveled at the innocence and wondered if she were for real. He had never met anyone like her. When I had stooped down to smell the flowers on the walk on our first date...well he was stunned. He had determined after that first meeting he would sell his motorcycle to take her to the dentist. He did so and more. He set me up in a little apartment along side a private home. It was a little place of safety. It was the only time I had ever lived alone. Perhaps all of 300 square feet of a place to rest. We spent so many hours talking and then one day we almost became intimate. Instead we opened the scripture and decided to wed directly and to save that for our wedding day. He respected me.

"We are now to be together at the calling of our hearts.
Rest assured this troubadour is acting out his part.
Is it love that brings us here or is it love that brings us life?
so then whats to be the reason for becoming man and wife.
Do you believing in miracle's.
Oh there is love
There is love..... " (Paul stooky)

He played out his heart for me, my man that he would call me wife. He has forever change for me the meaning of my life.


We interred into our wedding day Worshipfully.

My wedding gift from him was an act of great courage for he played for me at the wedding.

Beloveds brother helped us by loaning us a suit.
My Mother in Love made my wedding gown. We wed just 30 days after we met.
We set the date for two weeks once we had Beloveds parents blessings.
They said "son if you love her than we accept her".

We held the ceremony in their back yard. I flew my mother who I had not seen in a few years, and my father (I later learned he was not really my birth father). I had only met him twice in my life at that point. I did not choose to have my step dad attend.

My Mother helped me with my veil.
It was the first time alone with her for many many years

She gave me the necklace from my youth as something old.

This was taken in Beloveds folks living room just before I was walked down the isle.

I felt like I was free floating.
I made Doves dedication gown from the left over fabric. I also used some of the left over fabric for the trim on our first quilt for our marriage bed.

The fellow in the beard was the man who ,He and his wife had taken me in.
He gave a lengthly sermon about the vows.

We exchange simple gold bands.
The whole of the wedding was no more than $500. for flowers, rings and the cake. The punch and snacks were a gift from the cousins.

The birds were singing so loud that I sorta got distracted and the question was posed twice because I was just so happy I was a bit above it all.
My face hurt from smiling it was so big a grin that I strained my cheeks.
The birds were eating the piracanthra berries from the bush behind us. Their song was amazing.


The woman in yellow was my Maid of Honor, She lived next door to the house that I had left.
It was she who helped me get away from an abusive 6 month relationship.
She helped me to get to the church to escape and begin new.
My wedding colors were set from her dress. I received what was offered.


My "dad" name sake (Don) was there. He and my mother had not seen each other since I was an infant just after they divorced. This was a very courages thing to do and so very generous. For he threw my mom down a flight of stairs kicking her in the tummy the day I was born. I forgave him in act.

We signed our licence, as did our witnesses, on the folks table.

The beautiful woman in pink is Beloved's Mother. She made my dress within the two weeks notice by cutting out a pattern from a porcelain figurine of a senorita I had had from childhood.

This is Beloved's Paternal Grandmother Doves namesake. She was the first woman who ever showed me kindness and a gentle touch. She is my favorite person of old times. The man is her son Beloveds Uncle. Dash is named after her husband.

Our last name means , Dove of peace.
The doves on the cake are still in my possession. Old and yellowed they are a treasure of how God brought me under the wing of my dear husband.

This was the very favorite thing of my wedding day.
He sang "We are no to be together"...by Don Francisco
It was somewhat private for he was painfully shy to share his music with others.
I so miss his guitar playing.

He was so brave.
On our first date beside a creek he played "He's alive" by Don Francisco

We were gentle and respectful of each other.
We did not smear or cram the cake. Tenderness was just who we were.


These dear ladies are some of Beloveds cousins who served us that day. The girls all just set it up. Many of these women wished that Beloved was not a cousin. He is very well beloved by them for good reason.
He is a kind man.



So many of these have now passed on.
Only my Mother and Dad were there. Non of my other family.


I still use this cook book some 26 years later. I felt like a princess with so many gifts. When only a month before I was homeless. All of my possessions were in a garage somewhere. Pilfered through by others. Everything has so many times over been given back to me.

These two girl were new friends of only a month or two.

GLEE

I always hated what they wrote on the car. It cheapened my day. When I married my Beloved I was his virgin.

I am my beloveds and he is mine.

His banner over me is Love.

We left and went to his home that was now...Our home.
Beloved moved out of his parents home at 18 years of age. He fixed cars and saved up enough money to buy a small house. He owned it for four years before we met. It was all of 900 square feet of heaven on earth.
My own home and a man who loved God..


The next day we took my parents to the air port.
It was the first time in my life that I had them side by side of me. It was the last.
They are both dead now, but I did my best to show them the respect of my wedding day.

2004

I had my Indian wedding and all the dreams that were not met so many years before were met then. I am still my Beloved's and He is Mine. We have Gods banner over us.
LOVE

16 comments:

Faith said...

WOW...thank you for sharing all of this.
What an incredible wedding story.
May the Lord richly bless you.

Cheryl said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing your memories with us. God Bless~

Connie Marie said...

I enjoyed reading your wedding story. I am glad God blessed you with such a loving husband. You rea beautiful.

~Bren~ said...

Happy Anniversary!!
Our God is so faithful!! He is everpresent and ready to give us our hearts desire, which is His hearts desire.

JUST A MOM said...

happy happy you look the same oh wait who is that guy with hair?????


love ya

Susannah said...

Donetta, this is a miracle wedding story. You've been showered with so many incredible blessings! (Yet, I'm sorry about your past.)

I had that same red Betty Crocker cookbook for many years. Hmmm, where did it go?

Your wedding gown is so lovely, and so skillfully handmade. What a treasure.

"And His banner over us is love."

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday, today.

Blessings, e-Mom @ Chrysalis

Denise said...

This was so beautiful, you were a lovely bride.

Corey~living and loving said...

I really really really enjoyed this post. It was a delight to see you.....so happy and young.....and in love. wonderful.

Tammy said...

I was so touched by this tender story...your whole wedding story spoke volumes of God's redemptive love.
Thank you so much for sharing this, and these precious photos too!

God bless you both!
~Tammy

Constance said...

I am so glad tht you shared your story! Those of us who have had less than idea childhoods or come from a background of dysfunction sing when we see that God "has retored what the locusts have eaten". Your Hubby like mine is definitely a keeper! What a tender love story! I am reminded of Gomer and Hosea as I read your story!

In your last picture I saw where your Hub was wearing a uniform. I recognized it instantly since our youngest daughter was a Civil War Re-enactor in High School and was part of the 4th Texas Cavalry, dismounted. I would love to hear the story behind your photo!

You can copy and paste this link if you like. It is a post I did about Laura's re-enacting and it has some photos as well!

Thanks for sharing!
Big Hugs today!
Connie
http://edelweisstexas.blogspot.com/2008/02/fridays-show-tell.html

Susan said...

Donetta
What a beautiful love story!!! I was just so deeply touched by your amazing love story.

Your wedding was beautiful, just like you!

You'll have to stop by my site, I have a song playing that will bring back beautiful memories.

Thanks for sharing this with us!!!

Blessings♥

Michelle Gregory said...

Princess,
I never get tired of hearing that story. Was it really four years ago that we went to the forest with you to celebrate? Seems like yesterday.

Michelle

Amrita said...

Wow what a romantic, miraculous, tender hearted story with the soft and hard bits too.

God 's hand is evident throught it all. Its a great testimony of your life.God bless you both.

i love the pictures.Your smiles are so alive and fresh.

Shirly you did a great job on that dress.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Donetta what beautiful pictures and beautiful memories! Praise God for answering your prayers and his!

Shari said...

Lots of neat memories and blessings. How wonderful that God brought you two together. Your husband sounds wonderful and very romantic. Our wedding was inexpensive, too. I'm glad that you got to have another one 22 years later.

Peculiar said...

My word!!! Your pictures are just so beautiful and full of love and life. It is obvious that this very quick engagement and marriage was of God and was no mistake. I really enjoyed your story. It is so very precious. I almost cried on some parts. Thanks for sharing your story! You've touched our hearts. Your husband sounds like a gift from God. What a blessing!!

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness