Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Cuting up chickens, 29 pounds of chicken cut and put up.

Beloved blessed me by doing the photos of last night project. I hope this helps any of you who desire the knowledge of how to piece a bird. This work must be done quickly the birds must be kept cold. I had all cut meat in the deep freeze in one hour.
Chickens, .57 a pound for whole fryers (get the larges ones this is the est bargan for the money less bone/fat per pound, and the tenders are bigger(see chicken tenders below) and $1.77 clean breasts (I leave these whole they are "young" or smaller.)
Prepare all surfaces. I used paper bags (recycle) then I line cookie sheets with plastic wrap so they are ready. A VERY sharp knife the best you can afford. If at yard sale look for hardened steal. They will sharpen well.
The breasts first just lay them out not touching. We are going to flash freeze here then bag them in a large zip lock baggies and we will just pull out what we need as we need them. Cover them with plastic. Now when you pull the plastic do it over the item to be covered (don't tear it yet) pull more than you need, let it float in the air into place. I say this after seeing hubby battle over the tear and place method where he trys to grad the wrap with two hands. I have one hand on box one hand on wrap.
When removing your birds lift them out so the moistur stays in the bottom of the bags. This keeps contagions down and mess at a minimum.
I cut wing off then thight at the joint, cut through meat thend bend back to reveil joint it will crack that is the open to cut through.
By slicing close to the ribs the thigh has a lot of meat remaining
Bend back for crack and cut through.

Same for knee, cut through meat all around bend it back for crack cut through
I cut wing tip and toss in stock pots. This pot all the carcass from the backed chiken and all the broth and roasted garlic and onion.
Using Gravity as your third hand. Sorta like God giving you an invisible hand :) Hold bird on end slice through the hollow and as below pull open a little slice down

Here will be your crack to slice you sill be cutting through the rib bones and its all good. Just a little yucky, watch the under left (back) side for neck. slice though joints and clear remaining flesh.

Now from the back cut the meat through and through.


I am now cutting back in half Use pressure he not a slice but a hard press through. Now the worse part is to PUSH don't pull your thumb in an upward motion to remove the blood clots and the two little glands trim with a small knife. Don't put that in your pot YUK, De-fat using your invisible gravity hand lift up on the back with the fat, with a sharp knife slice pulling your blade toward you. It is to keep your stock clear.


Skin your breast using gravity again This will keep your meat free from damage too.

Slice drawing blade toward you. one side and turn it around then the other. As close as you can but don't worry about meat left on the bone this and the back pieces are easily cleaned of all meat after they boil in the stock pot. This is the best soup meat. The back accually has a lot of flavor.

Now each of these large breast will have one small loose tender on the back It comes right off then make three long slices ...chicken tenders. Cover with plastic. These are to be flash frozen right away. They then will be removed and placed into large sip lock baggies.

Stock pots, right all the wing tips, breasts bones, backs and bay leaves several. Left the Roasted Garlic onion batch. All will boil for a few hours here. The right has already boiled for the hour I have been cutting. It was also backed bird. The bird was sliced for supper and the carcass boiled. For soup I will de-bone all this tomorrow or Friday for soup. I removed all meat/bone to be picked tomorrow. I will chill all of this (BELOVED DID IT FOR ME WHILE I SHOWERED) A steal bowl was inserted (floated) in the large pot as it rested in the large sink in cool water. Then he filed the bowl with ice . and stirred the pot.
Here are 2 cups of hearts, livers and gizzards. To it was added 2 cups water. I give this to the dogs after It cools. They always are at attention when they see me with a whole bird. So funny to watch them but they do get a little pesky. My momma would have a fit for this makes the best gravy! I might hold the hearts and livers back, but I just never liked the idea a whole lot. Seams like your eating dirty filters ya know.
Here in a bag is about 2 pounds of skin, fat and the back bone yuk. That is such little waste. Now it is contained in this bag, mess minimized when all done I add three paper towel to spong up the liquid and in the trash it goes.
Trash mess contained and removed post haste by beloved as soon as he walked by (good GUY) .

Cover and freeze. (just a few)


Bleach your counter tops well. Not cross sontamination. This is VERY important with chicken.
Bag all the bags into one
Anticipation.............

1 comment:

Denise said...

Busy, busy bee, that is what my friend is. I love you.

Older women likewise teach the younger women...

• how to love their husbands
• how to love their children
• how to be self-controlled
• how to be pure
• how to be keepers at home
• how to be kind and submissive (not subservient) to their own husbands. (See Titus 2:3-5)

Blog Archive

By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Words have power. Here are a few of my favorite sayings.

  • A warm cup of tea is like a cuddle with a friend.
  • The North American Indians have a more eloquent word for ‘friend’ than we do in English. In their language, the word for friend literally means, “the one who carries my sorrows on his back.”
  • Return with Honor
  • The sage anticipates things that are difficult while they are easy, and does things that would become great while they are small. All difficult things in the world are sure to arise from a previous state in which they were easy, and all great things from one in which they were small. Therefore the sage, while he never does what is great, is able on that account to accomplish the greatest things."
  • "HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGINS"
  • “Live so that when your children hear these words they think of you… Fairness Caring Integrity Honesty Love Trust.”
  • "O Lord help my words to be gracious and tender today, for tomarrow I may have to eat them."
  • "No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes"
To The Ends Of The Earth
Sisters by Heart

Click here for all crafts

e patterns My sister told me of this site

Please pray for her parents and family

Please pray for her parents and family
Amy has clicked her heals and flown to her real home. There is no place like home.




This was given to me for the third time in just a few weeks.

Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
"For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song."

Thank You Ross

Getting to know Me

What warm hearts you all offer

Thank you all for the kindness you have shown me with every Award. I am embraced. You Are a blessing.

Thank you Michelle

Thank you Michelle








































Thank you Annette they are beautiful
Thank You Annette
neno award from Kat


Autism Awareness